Friday, April 8, 2011

Interview with Scott U.

Scott U. is currently a student at UTD in the ATEC program. He will be graduating this semester and is planning on continuing his graduate studies.


Scott is a generalist, being able to animate in 2d and 3d; concept art to backgrounds; and web development. He also has background in music and is able to compose songs for his shorts.


Scott's portfolio


Interview

When did you get interested in animation? Was there anything that you saw made you think “I want to do that when I grow up!”?


I got interested in animation early on. I used to watch Batman and other cartoons in my childhood and the way characters move really intrigued me.

I was fortunately gifted in the arts, but lacked the knowledge and means to create cartoons. It wasn't until middle school that I discovered Adobe Flash 4. It never occrued to me that I wanted to be an animator when I grew up. Instead it was something I enjoyed that eventually turned into a passion for future study.

Do you have any favorite animations, directors, or studio houses?


Favorite animations: There are some animations I like purely for the quality of animation (and not necessarily story). In terms of animation quality, I liked the action sequences from Bounen no Xamdou (X'amd), 鉄腕バーディー (Birdy the Mighty Decode), and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. I'm not a big fan of Disney, but I also enjoyed the animation quality of Bambi, The Lion King, and The Sword in the Stone.
    
I'm a big Miyazaki fan and really enjoy the works of Studio Ghibli. I'm also a fan of studios such as: Studio Deen, Madhouse, I.G. Productions, Studio David, and Bones.


How did you get your first animation job? How did you feel about working with them?


I got my first internship/job in high school. A local animation company, Epic Software, located in The Woodlands, is run by the father of my older sister's acquaintance. It was as very educational experience, and I worked very hard to produce a fighting game in Flash with a small team of interns. The work was enjoyable and my colleagues who were really industry professionals, gave me good advice.

Are you working on any projects as of right and what role(s) and responsibilities do you have in the project?


Right now I'm the director of Project Seasons and part of S.A.T. (Students Animate Together, a rogue group from A-Z Productions). I'm working a short called Flower of the Heart which is a story about a young and frustrated photographer finding love in a bittersweet tale. I also do 3d animation contract work for Veristics Technologies in Houston. I'm currently animating a product called the Rocket Rig.

Any advice for upcoming animators who want to get into the field?


Advice I can give: don't complain and work hard, there are thousands of artists overseas who would kill for a position and possess a LOT of talent. Be consistently on-time with your assignments and learn to budget time. Always communicate with your team-members, if you have any, and promote your fellow artists.


Scott and I are currently working on a short called 'Flower of the Heart' which will be finished by the end of the semester. The trailer will be released first at the 2011 ATEC.EMAC Showcase on April 20, 2011 at 6:30 P.M. at the UTD Conference Center. I will be posting the trailer here also when we finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment